01 June 2007

10 Childhood Memories


Ok, I wasn't tagged but I want to play too. This is my favorite list going around so far so I am tagging myself...

1. Dancing in the kitchen with Mom... We would do the Jitterbug and the twist... Oh, how I love my Mom...

2. One time my Grandma took my cousin and I to Bryce Canyon to go camping. We just went for the night and camped in her car. None of us slept much because it was so uncomfortable but we had a wonderful time with Grandma.

3 The first night we moved into our new house... We didn't have anything unpacked so Mom warmed up Chef BoyR D Ravioli es on the hotplate for Dad and I and we all slept in the living room... Mom and Dad were in sleeping bags on the floor and I was in my sleeping bag on a lounge chair... We were all laying in the dark and listened to the Mystery Theater on the radio.

4. Waking up early on Sat. mornings, saddling my horse, packing my lunch in the saddle bags and riding up into the mountains. I would spend all day on the mountain just me and Sorrowlee then in the late afternoon we would come down the mountain on the outskirts of town and visit my mom's friend while I sat on my horse and picked apricots from her tree that were warmed by the afternoon sun.

5. Playing "Pile of Poop" with my cousins and our Great Dane Cheops. He was like a brother to me and it was a game of tag we made up. If Cheops touched you, you were a pile of poop and had to freeze until someone touched you to unfreeze you.

6. We had a VW Bug and one time we made a trip from Utah to California with my Mom and Aunt Bea in the front seat, Cheops the Great Dane in the back seat and my cousins John and Joyce and myself all in the Cubby hole in the back of the bug. I was in the 3rd grade and Cheops would sit up and lean back pressing my face into the back window, I couldn't breathe.... that was a long trip... perhaps that is why I now suffer from claustrophobia. lol "I miss you Cheops..."

7. Every Sunday night Mom, Dad and I would gather around the TV to watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, the Wonderful World of Disney (Tinkerbell flying to the Castle was my favorite part) and then the Waltons.

8. We moved to the country when I was in the 3rd grade... Dad and I went to buy chickens for the chicken coop... We purchased 12 hens and 12 roosters... My Grandma lived with us and when we brought them back to the house she saw all those roosters and said to my Dad, "Joe, what are you doing with all those roosters????" He told her he got one for each hen. She then informed us that we only needed one rooster because all those roosters would kill each other. We gathered them up and took them back to the elderly gentleman we bought them from and he was sitting on his front porch waiting for us... rocking in his chair and just a chucklin' at us City Slickers.

We also had a lamb named Duster that slept in the house with our Great Dane... I loved Duster but we were the talk of the town. Finally someone told us that our sweet Duster would grow up to be a RAM and not a friendly pet so we gave him to a farmer that promised not to eat him.

9. When I was very little I loved Peter Pan. Every night as my Mom tucked me in I would ask her to make certain my bedroom window wasn't locked in case Peter Pan would come so he could get in... then I would go to sleep whispering over and over.... "Peter Pan, Peter Pan, Peter Pan..." Hoping he would come and take me to visit Never Never Land and I could meet Tinkerbell.

10. We had a BIG garden. I remember my Grandma and my Dad always looking at the Farmer's Almanac before planting... my Grandma always told us we had to plant the potatoes by the "light of the moon..." Up until just a few years ago I always thought she meant you had to plant your potatoes at NIGHT by the "Light of the Moon." Who knew she was talking about planting them during the day when there was a full moon that night.... I thought she meant we were supposed to be out there in the dark using the moon light!


Well, there it is, my 10... It's so much fun to walk down memory lane. If you haven't already been tagged..... "Tag! Your It!" Please let me know so I can share in your childhood memories too.


14 comments:

insanemommy said...

What ever happened to the lamb? The farmer didn't eat him did he?!?! Too cute. A lamb as a house pet.

Rony

Jewels of My Heart said...

Rony I don't know because we only lived there during my 3rd grade. But I choose to believe he lived a long, happy life grazing in a meadow filled with wild flowers.... I loved Duster and I have pictures of him all curled up with our Great Dane sleeping in the hall outside my parents bedroom... too funny

Dianne said...

Great list, great memories! Did you grow up in Utah then?
Thanks for sharing, you have a way with words :)
Dianne

Jewels of My Heart said...

Hi Dianne, We moved ALOT! I lived in two little towns in Ut. Orangeville in my 3rd grade and Escalante in my 4-7th and again part of my 8th and part of my senior year. We also lived in CA, NV and MO.
I lived in CA most of my life and we have been in GA for over 10 years now....
I seem to be a sojourner...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some wonderful times!

First time I've heard of Pile of Poop tag though...:)

Elizabeth said...

Hey I just tagged you for this and here it is. Instant!
I love the pne where you go off into the mountains with your horse. That sounds like a dream. and the Peter Pan one too, how sweet are you. Clearly you and I both 'hear the music'.

kitchu said...

Your memories are so rich! Spending half the day with your horse in the mountains... wow, that is like my dream day! Sorry Cheop caused you to be claustrophobic, but I can see why~!

C's Mom said...

Cute list...I love what I'm learning about people reading these :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh my word - this was adorable.
The rooster and hens made me laugh out loud (we have hens, NO rooster!)
Fun to get to know you this way!!
(now I know why I like you, too!!)
**smiles**

Nikki said...

I really love this one too -- I have enjoyed reading about everyone's memories.
Loved yours with your horse in the mountains...sounds glorious.

"Pile of Poop" sounds like a game I would've played as a kid too. Hilarious.

Polar Bear said...

Great memories! This has been such a fun way to learn about blogger buds!

Diana said...

Oh, please post the pics of Duster and the Dane puhleeze!!! I am sooo glad I found your site, and I am so happy you tagged yourself. Great memories and thanks so much for sharing them.

Colleen said...

Aw...those are great memories. :-)

redmaryjanes said...

I love your list! My Mom had a VW beetle too and I thought it was Herbie the Lovebugs friend. Your roadtrip with your dog sounds wonderful. I think I'll leave my window open and whisper for Peter Pan!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...