This is Chisum our Chihuahua. He is truly Nicholas' dog. They are buddies... he sleeps with Nicholas and my son hates to go to bed without his dog..... Now the sad part... Chisum is a very affectionate, sweet wonderful little dog with an alter ego... Barracuda Joe. I know some of his growling is all talk.... but lately he seems to be becoming more menacing.... especially towards Hannah. I know his biggest problem is because he is so small he has to act big and quite frankly I think he is afraid he will get hurt or crushed. Anyway, Peep won't leave him alone... sometimes she isn't as gentle as she should be, (neither is her brother) but for the most part she is very gentle with him. (I don't allow my kids to rough house with the animals, they have to be nice.) She goes near him and unless she has food he is growling at her.... and lately I have seen teeth a few times.... I have had many talks with Barracuda Joe over the last 3 years since I brought him home from the pound much to Jeremy's dismay.... I have threatened him that if he didn't mellow out I would find him a new home.... Well, it has gotten to the point that I put an ad in the paper today to find him a new home.... I feel so sad.... I love the little guy and will miss him and worry about him but I really feel bad for Nicholas. And I worry about Chisum... he loves our family but will not warm up to anyone who comes in our house.... will he adjust? Will they be nice to him when he won't stop yapping? Will they truly let him live inside with them and sleep with them like my add says is an absolute must! Am I over reacting? Is he all talk or could he really bite? Do I dare take that chance...... I just don't think I can or should but I need help.... please tell me I am doing the right thing... I have even worried he would bite Nicholas at times... but they love each other.... oh, if only I knew the temperament of this breed before I fell in love with him at the pound.... he was so tiny and docile.... This will be our 3rd dog we have found a new home for since I have had children. My little dog Angus was my little buddy and oh, how I loved him.... but, (long story) if anyone got too close to him when he was laying down or sleeping (like Jeremy or our big dog) he would snap at them.... I think Brewzer (our big dog who is now in heaven) laid on him so many times when he was a pup that he became afraid of being hurt or squashed. So when we started our journey to find Nicholas I knew I had to find my little buddy a home that did not have small children. He was a cuddle bug but did not like rough housing at all! Oh, how he would run like the wind...... Then Dartanian (Dartie) was a boxer, bulldog.... who was a pistol... always in trouble... reminds me of a mini me of Christine's Diesel.... would give you the Elvis grin with his lip curled up showing a canine tooth.... a big lover boy and sweet temperament..... But! Nicholas came home and was 4 and a half.... he and Dart were around the same size.... they loved each other but they had a power struggle going on... (it was just crazy) the problem became that Dart would always steal Nicholas' food when ever he could! If Nicholas left the table for a minute Dart would use his front paws to knock down his snack and eat it. Or he would snatch it right out of his hand. Well, when you have spent the first 4 and a half years of your life in an institution in Siberia hungry! You don't take kindly to a dog stealing your food now that you finally have some.... so Nicholas starting being mean to Dart because he resented him..... It finally got to the point that Dart turned back on Nicholas a couple times. He didn't bite him but it was too close. Plus Brewzer jumped in and started a fight with Dart protecting my son.... our dogs never fought but this time they did and it was two feet from my four year old.... so even though it broke my heart and it still breaks Jeremy's I KNEW it had to be done.......With Chisum, I guess I just wish I knew if he really means it or it just is a warning... he growls when he is playing too but it is different..... oh, I don't know, I am just rambling.... I feel horrible but I cannot take the chance that he will bite one of my children!
Goodbye Chisum..... I am praying the Lord will lead me to your new family and that you will be happy, loved and well cared for.... and now I am going to bed to cry..... I know it is stupid but it makes me sad...
13 comments:
You are doing the right thing.
We are going through something similar with one of our dogs of 10 years......he has snapped at a couple of people. Ugh.
I have ZERO tolerance for a dog that cannot be trusted.......but still....ugh.
We had a dog that actually did bite someone and we put him down the next day.
So sad. So hard.
So sorry your having to go through this!
I think you're doing the right thing. We used to have a dog years ago that did bite 2 children. One was a child in our neighborhood and one was a friend of my older daughters who was at our house for a sleepover. It was a really horifying thing to go through. We still kept the dog but we were just super careful to keep him away from kids.
In my opinion, people come first, then animals. I would NEVER euthanize a dog for that (I've known people who have), I think placing the dog in another home is best for the dog and the kids.
That is a really hard thing to do but I have to agree with you:( (((hugs))) We have a beagle who is 13 now and I worried alot prior to bringing Lily home. She has bitten twice since we've had her when she was trying to eat and being bothered, Lily now goes in while the dog is eating bumps her out of the way and digs in, it scares me to death!!!!! Lately I have seen in our dogs eyes she has about had it and I really worry. What I try to do now if Lily is bugging her is put her outside or in another room. I really fear something more drastic may have to be done. I feel so bad for your family, a pet is part of the family. Maybe another dog for your son? Sometimes when they grow up with the kids they are more apt to take the chasing and poking and all love the little ones like to shower them with :)
You are doing the right thing. You have to protect your children!
I had to do the same thing with my dog Jack. She was THE best dog I've ever had, but was SOOO jealous of Amelia that I couldn't keep her. Jack had seizures and separation anxiety too so finding the right home was a challenge. She was a pound dog too, so finding the perfect home was really important to me so that she wouldn't have to make another move. I put an ad in the paper and the first person that called me was a perfect fit, although I talked to many people after her just ot make sure. 2 sisters who were retired and lived together who's dog just died (it had seizures) and they would be home all day (no more puppy Prozac for Jack!) Jack is MUCH happier there although I hear SHE has a new name:) She sleeps with one of the sisters and is the lap dog she always was before Amelia came home. Prayer works for animals too. God puts them in our lives when we need them and he'll help Chisum find his way to someone else who needs him now.
Sharie
I strongly agree with both of the other comments! You have to protect your children no matter what. I know it will be hard though.
~Lynn
Thank you all so much. I know I can't risk it so I am glad that I am making the right choice. It is just really hard but all of your support is a blessing to me...
First and foremost, you are completely free to feel sad. This is such a tough decision. Secondly, I think you are absolutely doing the right thing, for your kids most of all. Chihuahua's unfortunately are a breed that are known to be "nippy" and are prone to having that "split" personality- it's pretty rare you find one that is really laid back. The last thing you would want is for him to bite one of your kids.
I hope he finds just the right home, and I am certain with you helping him do that, he will!
So sorry you have to make this decision! You're doing the right thing... Better safe than sorry. :) Hang in there!
Oh, man this is a tough one. Well, of course I'm thinking what would I do if Mag's acted funky with the girls. Yes, she did growl at them under her breath when we first brought the girls home. She pretty much ignores them now. BUT, if I coudn't trust her with the girls me and Mag's would have to go! lol... G-d I hope I never have to make that decision. She is my first adopted baby and I love her with all my heart.
Do not distress Daleea, you have to provide a safe environment for the children first and formost. Give it to the Lord, if a family comes forward to claim him, then let him go. If not, keep him. That's my advice : )
Come to my blog, there is something for you.
OH sweet friend...you are most definitely making the right choice for your precious family! I know you are so sad...we do get very attached to our little fur muffins....and love them deeply...but you are so wise to realize that this little fur muffin could potentially hurt one of your precious gifts from God above! Although it is a hard decision....I agree wholeheartedly...and I will pray along with you that the perfect family comes along for little Chism...and that he will find the perfect fit in another home!
Sweet Blessings,
Denise
Oh, p.s.....I just love the precious gift from that sweet sweet Steffie! She is one amazing gal....with a heart of gold! She is always thinking of others....such a gift that she has....to bless others so freely!
Oh, Daleea! {{hugs}} to you! I have no advice for you, but I can hear in your words how painful this is for you to decide. I know you will do what you feel in your heart needs to be done.
Post a Comment