
We were on the second day of the women's conference just outside of Moscow. The morning session had ended, it was a time for the ladies to sip their tea and share between old friends and new. An elderly lady walked up the stairs, bundled from head to toe to fight off the bitter cold just outside the door. She began to speak to a few of the Russian girls and the young woman who has been a missionary there for several years. Talking back and forth, back and forth.... and then they were gone... The workshops were beginning and everyone had dispersed. The precious babushka had gone into the restroom and I just stood there with Robin, a mission team member as I prayed, asking the Lord where He wanted me to go...
I was blessed to be a part of one of the most intense, Spirit filled intercessory prayer sessions earlier that morning, but Holy Spirit had checked my heart on the sign up sheets several times throughout the mission trip. Making it clear I was not to sign up for anything on certain specific times... I looked over at Robin and said, "I know the Lord wants me to do something right now, but He hasn't told me what yet." She wisely replied, "Then you should wait on Him." So I waited...
Out walked the babushka that had grabbed my heart from the moment I first saw her. I stood there watching her as she turned and walked down the steps, out of sight. I knew I was to talk to her, not knowing how, as I only know a few words in Russian, yet I followed.
She was in the entryway looking at the conference program. I told her hello in Russian. She turned to me and returned the greeting. I did not want her to go back into the cold and wanted to ask her if she would like a cup of tea. I only knew how to ask if I may have a cup of tea. So I said, "chai" (tea) and used my best charades to invite her for tea. She politely declined the offer and I found myself desperate to communicate with her. I knew God wanted to do something between us and I did not want her to leave yet. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a young woman coming down the stairs. She walked up behind me and placed her hand on my shoulder. Then she spoke, "What would you like to say to her?" She spoke English! She was a gift from God!
I do not remember word for word what transpired next, and some parts are personal and not meant to be shared... but the love that flowed between the three of us and our Lord Jesus was beautiful and pure... I asked what her name was (through the interpreter the Lord had sent). Her name is Valentina. This beautiful woman of God, this precious sister in Christ Jesus. I asked if she was here for the conference? She had heard about it and had come to see if there was anything she could do to help. They had told her everything had been done. Her servant's heart blessed me.
I asked her if I could pray for her. She said yes. The young woman and I placed our hands upon this beloved woman and I prayed... I lifted her up before the Lord and thanked Him for her. I prayed for His blessings upon her and her family and then Holy Spirit led me to pour out my heart on behalf of her family... I prayed that God would stir their hearts... that He would give them a desire to know Him. That they would see His reflection in Valentina as He had given them a beautiful, godly matriarch to help them to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. The three of us came into agreement as we lifted up her family and their need for salvation.
(I remember thinking as I was praying that I did not know if her family were Christians or not, yet Holy Spirit led me to pray for their salvation so I just kept going.)
Then Valentina began praying... She prayed a blessing upon me and my family... the tears began to flow as this sweet, sweet woman of God, this matriarch blessed me in the Lord. Then she started crying out for her family... how she tries to share Jesus with them, but they do not want to know Him.... crying out for their salvation, that they would come to know Him! Then she began to praise our God and we joined in... together three sisters in Christ, two languages, standing in the foyer, exalting our Lord.
The prayer ended, we all hugged each other with tears in our eyes.
As we talked Valentina would try to adjust her hearing aide so she could hear us but it would make a loud squeal, forcing her to turn it back down. She began to share that when she lived in the village she could not hear, but when she came to Moscow, the Lord gave here this hearing machine! She went on to say how when she goes to church, the people talk of things of God but she cannot hear what they are saying and she misses out on much of what God is saying. I looked her in the eyes and said, "Valentina, you hear God."
Then we all hugged, and the young woman who was interpreting said she had to go upstairs! Hopefully her baby was still sleeping! She did not even know why she had come down stairs... I said it was a Divine Appointment and we all agreed...
I look forward to the day when I see Valentina again... we shall stand before the throne of our God and praise Him, worship Him and thank Him! Language will not be a barrier between us, and we shall have all eternity.
Thank You Jesus for these beautiful, precious sisters in Christ! Please bless them Lord...
At the evening session I saw the young woman on stage translating and I was amazed... I had no idea that she was one of our translators for the conference! I love how God provides all we need at the exact moments we need it. Thank You Jesus for the gift of sweet Julia. That through her gift of language You allowed the three of us to communicate. Each time Julia and I would see each other we shared a look of knowing... that divine appointment we shared is one of my most cherished memories in Russia and we will forever share a special bond. I love you Julia and your little Emma too.
1 comment:
Beautiful testimony my friend, I love to read how God is using you:)
Post a Comment