On June 28th after flying from Miami, to Nicaragua, and El Savador where we were delayed for several hours, we arrived on the island of Roatan, in Honduras.
Pastor Chuck from Calvary Chapel Roatan met us at the airport along with a few others to help both families get to the Sonrise Missionary Inn/Calvary Chapel Roatan. Pastor Chuck, his wife Tia, and three of their children live on the premises. We knew we would be living here for at least the first three months. Jesus has since revealed to us that we are to continue to live at the Sonrise. Chuck and Tia gave our family the little apartment to stay in and we are really blessed to have such accommodations in the mission field. ( Will post pics of our new home one day.)
A wonderful covered porch runs the length of the motel, front and back.
Our view from the back porch.
The first day we all walked out behind the church, down the little path, and to the beach. It was exciting to finally get a feel for our new home. Unfortunately, I was eaten alive by sand fleas at the beach! After we returned back to the Sonrise, Nicholas told me that he knew the people here were poor but he did not know they were that poor. I was a little concerned at this, since the homes that we passed on our way to the beach, although extreme poverty level, they were actually nicer than I anticipated. I explained to him that although they were poor, the homes were much nicer than most of the homes he would see when we visit the colonias. I am thankful that the Lord prepared his heart and mind for what he would encounter in the colonia that is right by the church. (Nicholas is there right now, working with a mission team from Atlanta, GA that are building a home for one of the families in our church. Thank You Jesus!)
The kids here love soccer and come to play in the courtyard. They have a ball and since we have been here they have only broken 5 little widow panels! haha
That's Nick in the red shirt. He was playing goalie and I got this shot just as he blocked the kick and ended up making a goal with his block! He was so excited and the rest of the boys got a kick out of it too!
It was very difficult finding new homes for our dog and our cat. We have all been grieving over the loss of our beloved family pets.... but the Lord has blessed us with a few new friends. A few nights in, Izzy started yelling for me to come here. I went to the kids room and saw her pointing to the ceiling. "I want it!" she exclaimed. lol They are really cute geckos. We named this one Bugsy and when ever we see one about this size we tell the girls it is him.
This is Tobey, the baby gecko that hangs out in our home. He is very tiny and oh, so cute. Each time I see a tiny little gecko, I am sure it is Tobey. heehee
Last night as I was walking by our bed I saw something moving down our wall. It freaked me out and then I saw it was a larger gecko. I am fine if they stay on the ceiling and higher up the walls, but when they come down by where I lie my head and then where my pajamas are.... well..... I am just not thrilled about that.
A few days after arriving our families piled in a taxi and headed for West End. This little stretch of the island has some charming island shops, pretty beach, sand fleas, etc. There is a lot of spiritual oppression there though and I find myself interceding in prayer the few times we have been there. We have made acquaintances with a few of the island locals, have passed out some Gospel tracts and I believe the Lord will have us ministering there more as the time goes by.
Yummy rice, beans and chicken! However we must be more careful of eating out because 4 out of 5 of our family has been on medicine to rid our intestines of bacteria, and or parasites! UGGGG! Please pray for my girls. They are both on medicine and both have diarrhea. But, praise the Lord we have been able to keep them hydrated. Not an easy task when it is stinkin' hot, humid, we are all sweating like pigs and the kids want to run and play outside!
This is beautiful Anna, one of the three children of our friends whom God also called to be missionaries in Roatan.
We took a water taxi from West End to West Bay and for the first time in my life, I got to see the beautiful aqua and turquoise water I have always dreamed of. This is where the tourists come and it is breathtaking. White sandy beaches, beautiful homes, and they spray for sand fleas baby!
My little Peep, loving the ride in the water taxi
When we got to shore, the kids could not wait to jump in the water. It was clear, and beautiful.
My Izzy was overjoyed. She is my water baby and this was right up her alley!
My beautiful little island girl
Nick was having a good time too but at 14 a guy has to stay cool.
So Dad helped him out a little with some boy shenanigans.
My beautiful island girl.
The last four weeks have been filled with the Lord, joy, laughter, illness, challenges, spiritual attacks, tears, new friendships, and victories in the Lord. I will share more as I can find time. Please keep our family in prayer as the Lord puts us on your hearts. The enemy has been trying to wreck havoc with our family but I am confident that we will be victorious in the Lord for Jesus Christ has already won the war! To God be the glory!
Please keep the people of Roatan in your prayers. So many don't know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.







6 comments:
Hi sweet friend!!! So happy to see an update and pics, glad that you are all doing well, praying for you all.
xoxoxoxo
Ohhh my precious friend! I am SO SO SO SO thankful to finally read a post! My heart has been heavy for all of you because I know the adjustment is long and sometimes painful...Yikes...sand fleas!!!
Everyone looks great (ahem) except there are no pictures of my beautiful Daleea!!! I love you all and I am covering you in prayer!!!! Please e-mail me any specific prayer needs you have and take it easy okay? The heat and the humidity will drain you so preserve yourself and refresh yourself in the water and in the living water as well!!!!!!!!!!:)
Oh and NO ME GUSTAN LOS GECKOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yucky! (hee hee)
Oh and also....PLEASE be careful where and what you eat. Do they have yogurt there? Our girls drank yogurt drinks every day, several times a day and never once got sick from tummy things and parasites. All of you should do this...I love you bunches and bunches and bunches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So glad to see this update! Thankful for safe journeys and the faithfulness of the Lord. I am an MK who grew up in South America, and am so grateful for the experience I had. I pray that your children will grow in their faith and come to love their adopted country as much as I do mine!!
Oh sweet Daleea ~ what an honor to be able to follow you on this journey that God has set before your family, and to pray along side the others over all of you. I know he has great things in store, but I can only imagine how heavy the challenges and burdens you often bare and have to face. Sounds like Kim has some great advise to help ward off the tummy stuff. Not fun :(
I just got your first email update, and that led me to check out your sight. I don't often check that email these days, so I completely missed your previous notes. So sorry, my friend. Know that we are absolutely lifting you up from here on out and excited to see the ways that God will be using you as you have set up yourselves to be a vessel that He can work through to reach these hungry and oppressed people, so in need of a Savior... our Lord Jesus Christ!
Blessings & Hugs to all of you in the days, weeks and months to come... looking forward to more updates and beautiful photos (to include YOU!!)
OXO,
Tanya
P.S>> absolutely loved the photos ~ but ESPECIALLY the little collage of Nick and Jeremy... TOO funny and I love how dad lightened up the moment with his 'cool' teen!! ;)
Daleea,
Not sure if you remember me...it's been a while. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking back over your blog since my blogging absence and am lifting you, and your family up in prayer during your mission trip!
I wanted to share how God used you in our journey to our second daughter. My heart had been in turmoil as that 'whisper' to go back to China was getting louder, knowing there was another dear one waiting for us, but I'm ashamed to say my fingers were in my ears....fighting it, wanting to hold on to my comfortable life as it had become... not wanting to upset the cart once again. I hadn't been on blogs for quite some time and one morning I logged on. I saw your post in my feed immediately...1 Kings 17 8-16. After reading, I was so overcome with emotion and filled with the certainy and peace of His presence. At that moment I knew everything would be OK, we just have to say 'yes', trust, and take that first step. I shared your post with my husband and he too felt this was clear indication we were to move forward to find out where He was leading us.
We are now awaiting our fingerprinting appt from USCIS and are praying we will be in China by spring. We have a 3 year old daughter waiting for us in Guangdong. THANK YOU for being such a faithful servant, and for touching others through your love and devotion to our Lord, Jesus Christ. Always, God is good!
Post a Comment