I just needed to vent... I am standing in line at the Post Office with my precious daughter in my arms and this lady says.... "Is that YOUR baby?!!!"
I answer, "Yes."
"You mean you ACTUALLY HAD HER?!"
"Well no..."
"OH, she's adopted?"
"Yes, she was born in China."
"She's so pretty, I don't know how somebody could just give their baby away."
"Well, the Chinese government only allows a family to have one child. Her birth parents loved her very much. Against all odds her Birth Mother gave her life."
"She's so cute. "I WANNA GO GET ME ONE!"
Ok... everyone in the post office is looking at us. The lady is talking very loud. My daughter in in my arms and the lady kept touching her cheek and her hair... Hannah is looking at me a little unsettled and I just keep thinking "SHE IS MY CHILD! NOT SOME DOLL OR PUPPY!"
She must have said, "I WANNA GO GET ME ONE!" at least 4 times. It made me sick. I know she meant well but ignorance is no excuse on these matters. My son is from Russia, We have faced many prejudices with people regarding Nicholas. However, now if we didn't tell anyone they would never know he was born in a different country. But my little Peep.... how am I ever going to protect her from those who mean well but are RUDE, INCENTIVE, CLUELESS AND IGNORANT, or from those who are Racists filled with IGNORANCE AND HATE...
I know that Colleen http://http://hannahinchina.blogspot.com/ will appreciate this as she too had an encounter with an IGNORANT, hard hearted DUFFUS last night.
Lord, please bless our children and guard their little hearts from all the pain of those who would try to break them.
And Lord, please help people to understand that Nationality or Race does not make someone better or worse than any one else...
I am a patriot... I thank God that He blessed me by being born in the greatest Nation in the world... However, I am not naive enough to think that I deserve it.... It is an honor, privilege and a blessing to be born in America but it doesn't make me better or more deserving than anyone else.
Thanks for listening and God's Speed to your Little Miracles for those who are still waiting to hold their babies in their arms.
Now, for a much needed breath of fresh air.... the following post is not heavy or UGLY, but beautiful...
8 comments:
I wish that no child had to deal with ignorance, especially from and adult. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
I've often wondered how I will handle this.
On the flip side - when I see an Asian girl or boy, I just die inside because I so badly want to talk to the parents. I have done so and had different outcomes........now I say a little prayer and go for it.
You know, I soooo want to BE approachable - I want to look friendly and ready to talk - I just need to prepare for those who will want to 'talk', but may not be so encouraging. How sweet of you for noting that "she meant well".
**blessings**
Kristy, I know she did mean well, but I am not sweet... I called her names in my post... I still think that is a discription more than name calling but just the same it isn't very nice of me... I need to pray more for the Lord to help me deal with stuff like this... I tend to be a "She bear with rabies protecting her cubs" when it comes to my babies.
I know....it is so hard to hear people act so "shocked" over an adopted child! Best wishes my friend....
I think ignorant pretty much sums up the whole thing. People just don't get it and some never will. Continue to pray and God will make both you and your children stronger. He also makes us very sensitive to racial issues and slurs. Be thankful for your own personal growth. I know I have changed a lot through adoption.
There are well nosy people, people genuinely interested and then there are freaky people. Sounds like you hit #3!
Hopefully there are more of 2 then the rest.
Keep smilin!
Well what can I say to this??? I think you know what I want to say... yes, I too am curious - or was in the beginning, but I had some sense of respect about how I approched someone too! Most people (like this stupid lady) had NO respect as far as I am concerned.
I pray for the person that gets me on a day where I have PMS.... LOL!
I recently had someone say to me "Adopting from China is like the cadillac of adoption, why not adopt from here..." I was so mad I couldn't even respond. Cadillac? Do you have to wait 2 plus years for a friggin' cadillac? I think you handled yourself really well. People sometimes over step their bounds. At least you get to love that little doll and kiss her good night each and every night. You are so lucky!!! Thanks for sharing your story.
LeeAnne
Post a Comment