13 January 2008

Nicholas' Day....

Last Monday was Nicholas' special day.... It was his 10Th birthday...

Peep helped me bake his cake. Dad took a vacation day. We got up early and Jeremy made a big breakfast for us. Meeshka always gets excited for his birthday, but I think reaching the double digit in years sent him to the moon. He was so excited! After breakfast Nicholas opened his presents. Then we set off to Hilton Head...



"Hey everyone, look at how cute I am."

I told Nicholas I had a surprise for him when we got to the beach. He got so excited that I started to worry he would be disappointed. I had Jeremy take the kids for a walk down the beach while I set my plan in motion. I had made a treasure map and brought a black pirate bag, that has a skull and cross bones on it with coins and jewels inside. I followed the map and placed jewels and coins at certain points. When I got to the big X I dumped the rest in a pile. All of a sudden the seagulls started swooping down and picking up the Booty. I started shewing them away. Hoping they wouldn't take the loot. I rolled up the map, put it into the bag and placed it at the starting point. I called Jeremy to bring the kids back. Nicholas came running, "Is it ready yet?" I told him yes. He looked around confused. I told him his surprise was that I wanted to take lots of pictures today. He looked at me funny then told me OK. He started walking down the beach and saw the bag. His face lit up! He was so excited and came running back to me to show me what he had found. His excitement was contagious. I told him to look inside. Maybe there was something in his pirate bag. When he got out the map and read it he was almost jumping up and down. "It's a treasure map!" At first he thought it was real. It was so sweet. Then he read what it said and at the bottom it read, "Happy Birthday Laddie." "How did they know it was my birthday Mom?" Then he went on and on how he was so glad that he had found the pirate bag and that someone else didn't find it. As he followed the map and found his little treasures he was just so excited. So was Mom... I was so excited for him and I was so excited for me. It warmed my heart to know that my little man hadn't lost the magic and wonder of childhood. He wasn't all grown up after all...

The kids had a ball looking at all the jewels. Nicholas was so excited the rest of his day about his treasure map and the pirate treasure.


Another special thing happened. Jeremy spotted a dolphin swimming just off the shore. He was by himself and swimming closer than I have ever seen one to the beach. For probably 20 mins. we followed him along as he surfaced and swimming back and forth. It was incredible. At first I was concerned for him but after watching him we think he was just feeding on a school of fish. It was a special birthday gift from the Lord to Nicholas that we all enjoyed so much.

Then it was off to Chee Burger, Chee Burger for his Birthday Dinner!


A special day for an incredible young man!

23 comments:

Steffie B. said...

You are one awesome Mommy. That is absolutely the most precious thing I have ever heard!

crazylady said...

WoW.
I was teary when pops took a vacay day for Nicholas, just to show his son how much that means to him.
The treasure hunt is so symbolic.
What a heartwarming story.
I guess I need to sign out some library books (do people still do that?) on how to thrill a child on their birthday without breaking the bank.
Sen
xo

Unknown said...

What amazing photos!

insanemommy said...

You sure do know how to make a girl cry. That was the sweetest post for your handsome boy. You are so unbelievable! I wouldn't have even known to do something so fun. Ahhhh, you ARE "the cool" mom.

Lots of love sweets.

insanemommy said...

I just had to take a peek one more time at your kiddos....

day by day said...

Happy Birthday to Nicholas! It looks like you all had a great day together! And, oh, how I wish we lived in an area that we could visit the beach this time of year! The snow is falling right now as I write this.

Lisa and Tate said...

Happy Birthday Nicholas. What a fun pirate birthday- what a great imagination momma has!

Nikki said...

Oh, happy happy be-lated birthday to your little man!
Sounds like an absolutely "magical" day for your whole family...and the pictures were awesome, as always.
XO

mommy24treasures said...

what a perfect day! So glad ou all had so much fun, especially Nicholas. That was such a wonderful idea. I love how quiet the beach looked...
Have a wonderful week.

Annette said...

Happy Birthday Nicholas! What a great way to celebrate a birthday. You are one awesome mommy!

Sherri said...

What an awesome birthday idea! I love it!

Happy Birthday Nicholas!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.
First off, these pictures took my breath away.
Second, the treasure hunt, the picture with Nicholas looking out over the water - all symbolic......I don't have words here! I am so deeply moved....

Lisa said...

What a great birthday! What a fun day! Your pictures are amazing!

Debbie said...

What a great birthday for him!!! That was an awesome thing to do for him with the treasure map!! I hope the gulls didn't take all the loot!! I love the pictures!!

Great job!
Debbie

April said...

You two are awesome parents. I am thrilled to know you and to learn from you. Your children are so blessed and you are blessed by your children. How beautiful.

Heather said...

What an amazing family - so glad you had such a super time - you all deserve the richness of what you described! Love it all.

Heather

Paula said...

How fun. We did that one year for my daughter when we lived near the ocean. The kids had so much fun. Great pics!

missy said...

The black and white photo of Nicholas (the profile) is WONDERFUL! What a handsome young man you have. Happy Belated Nicholas Day!

kerri said...

What a special day, I just loved that you turned it into a beautiful family day.
You are such special Mom, you inspire me so much.

kitchu said...

What an amazing day- Happy Belated to your little man!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

What a great day for Nicholas!
We used to use a treasure map for our Easter egg hunts. Crazy but true. Your pictures are delightful.

3 Peanuts said...

What a great birthday celebration. Tell Nicholas his friend Will and Harry said happy Birthday:)

Kim

Yoli said...

Beautiful pictures and very touching post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...