15 February 2008

Let Me Paint You a Picture....

Tuesdays our homeschool group meets a a park for the kids to play. There were only a few children that came on Tues. There were two girls and one boy Nicholas' age that were there. The girls were playing really rough and once ran into Nicholas so hard they knocked him down in the sand. One of the girls kicked him in the back while he was laying there. I felt like I was yelling the enitire time at him.... "Nicholas, do not play rough with the girls, or you will not get to play with them anymore." And yet, their Mom said nothing except, "My girls are used to playing with boys. It's ok." I told her that he is not allowed to play rough with girls. Finally, they wouldn't stop and I didn't expect Nicholas to just let them pummel them. I said quite loudly, "HEY! If you girls want to play with Nicholas, no more playing rough because he isn't allowed to play like that with you."
A couple minutes later they went to go play in the ball field. Nicholas asked if he could go too. I reluctantly told him yes. I am so overprotective and I don't like it when he is that far from me. I know I need to work on that but what happened doesn't help me in that department much.
Instead of walking around to the opening, Nicholas climbed over the eight foot chain link fence and jumped down.... I reminded myself that he was just being a BOY.... Hannah was in the swing and I was pushing her. The kids were about 100 yards away by the baseball diamond. You know the back drop they have behind the home plate to rebound the balls? Well, it is chain link. The first pole that goes accross it is 16ft up and then probably another 8ft to the top. I look over and see my son climbing........ HIGHER AND HIGHER. He is about 2 ft fromt he top and I am watching on in horror. He started to come down just a couple of feet, then turned his body looking down at the ground..... I thought to myself, "No! Nicholas, don't do it!!!!!!!" Then he JUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It almost knocked the air out of me. I watched him plummet to the ground and when he landed it was brutal! He landed so hard on his feet and then crumpled up into a squatting position then tilted over onto the ground. I was yelling at him if he was ok but he was too far away and I couldn't hear him. The children had gathered around him. At least he was sitting up. (I must confess, my nerves have been SHOT since last Thursday night and I was in shock having seen my child do something so dangerous and STUPID!) One of the other moms said she would watch Hannah. As I was going to him I was thinking that if he wasn't hurt, (Only by the Grace of God) that I felt like beating him.
He could see the look in my eyes.... I was scared and angry. He said he was ok and tried to play it off like it was nothing.... he was limping for a couple of days. As we were walking back to Hannah I could tell he felt bad. He said, "Don't cry Mom." I asked him, "What were you thinking?! Do you know how high you were? You could have broken your neck. You could have broken your legs... You CAN"T jump from that high! You could have really gotten hurt!" He could have died. He told me he got up there but didn't know how to climb down. I said, "when you turned around and looked down, weren't you afraid?" He said, "NO, but after I jumped, I thought this is high, and got scared." The child had enough time falling through the air to realize how high it was.... I still see him, falling through the air and when he hit it was so hard. Nicholas has long, thin, feet and is very thin.... I just want to tell the world that, JESUS kept my baby safe!!!!!!!!
My Dad was an iron worker. He had a talk with his grandson on the phone and let him know that at the very least he could have broken, or even crushed his legs... that he knows people that have died from falling not as high as he was. He also advised me to take Nicholas to climb the 8ft fence and make him climb 4 or 5 up and then teach him to climb down.... I will be doing this. Along with reminding him to NEVER CLIMB THAT HIGH AGAIN! But if he should, please, oh, please Lord, let him climb down safely not JUMP!
Thank you all for listening...

22 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

oh I know, I have a Jacob. I know I know...
You are doing a wonderful job, he is learning and His heavenly Father is watching over him with much grace and mercy. His mercies are new every morning and evertlasting to everlasting...

I understand about the rough stuff, I never want Jacob to get over excited and hurt someone so we teach and teach no contact. Then someone comes over and brings their swords or rough play and I feel like such a meany, but with Jacob's thought process I know he can't play this stuff.

Steffie B. said...

I have a feeling I will be going through these scary moments with BOTH Things as well. Sophia is a dare devil....and Daniel being a boy...well time will tell. I'm so thankful he was ok though!

How are you doing?

kerri said...

I was so scared reading this post thinking that he might fall or jump!!
I am so glad he is okay!!
I am sorry you had the life nearly knocked out of you, it so scary when they test us!!I know they don't mean too, it's just so darned scary!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Hopefully you are feeling better that but as a Mommy those things play around in our heads for days. It is so so hard to be a parent and discipline your children and tell them they cannot do things but other kids can and other parents don't watch their children as close.

We used to play with a little girl that would hold out a toy as if to offer it to Lottie and Lottie would reach for it and then she would pull it back and not let Lottie have it. Her mom would just say Lottie could play with it when she was finished...Ugh! We don't play there anymore because it is waaaay to hard to explain to Lottie why that is unacceptable.

Praying for you and so thankful God was watching over him!

April said...

My heart was in my throat just reading about it even though I know that he didn't get really hurt. I can't imagine the fear you had. I hope things settle down for you soon and you can start breathing normal again. Thankfully the Lord put a hedge of protection once again around your family once again. Praise the Lord!

Paula said...

My oh my what a scare. You described it so well I felt like my heart was racing. Thank God he is ok. I had an incident like that once with my older daughter, she was sliding down a ski run out of control heading toward a tree. I was frozen with fear. Thank God she was fine. The next day we went out and bought a helmet!

Anonymous said...

One thing I really dislike is a mother who allows her child to be mean and rough! GRRR.

I have read that boys do not develope the part of their brains that tells them to be careful at the same rate a girl's brain developes. It is not totally finished until their early twenties!! Ahhhhh! That expalins a whole lot to me, as the mother of 4 brave (crazy at times) sons!

God watches over them, NO DOUBT. Your story is another proof of that :)!

Annette said...

I'm so glad he is ok. What a scarry ordeal.

Andie said...

Oh my goodness..my heart would have stopped! How scary for you! I'm so thankful that he is safe and unharmed!

Blessings-Andie

Adele said...

Oh my word. I would have been just as scared as you were. You are right that God protected Him from getting seriously hurt. Maybe this is a lesson learned for him and that he will think twice before doing it again. I am so sorry you had to endure that. Glad he is okay. :)

Angie said...

I know this won't have the same effect typed, but a student in my class (I teach kindergarten) was hunting with his dad...he fell 20 feet from a tree stand. Miraculously, not a bone was broken - no injuries at all. Later he told his mom about the "nice lady in white" that caught him. God's angels are all around! I am so thankful for God's protection over Nicholas that day!

adele and dan said...

Oh boy, that is scarey..It sounds like he learned his lesson..Hope you have a safe weekend!

Nikki said...

Oh, so THAT is how it happened...I can only imagine how FREAKED OUT you must have been! I am so glad he is alr ight..

As far as the girls playing rough with him - shame on their moms for not interjecting.
I am also an overprotective momma and proud of it...I don't let my kiddo play nasty and certainly don't expect other kids to do it either.

Love you girl!

Lisa said...

The joys of having boys! I have two of them, 13 and 16. They just have a good time and don't think they can actually hurt themselves. Clay climbs on the top of our wooden swingset and jumps onto our trampoline, of course I cringe and get on to him. Tell him all the things that you told Nicholas. All he can say is yes mam, but it is so much fun to fly through the air. I feel your pain. ;)

Lisa said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I have a son and totally understand what you went through. Thank GOD he was okay. Also, it was great that he could talk to you about it afterwards. I'm just so happy that he is okay!!! It's good that you can vent about it and hopefully put it behind you. Chin up, I think it just comes with the territory of raising a boy. You're a GREAT mommy!!!

3 Peanuts said...

I am so glad he was okay! I would have been terrified too.

Kim

redmaryjanes said...

I am a mother of 3 boys and I will tell you, there was nothing wrong with any of your feelings or behavior.
I would not allow two girls to kick my son in the back regardless of how old they were.
And I would and have felt that fear in the pit of my stomach when I have seen them climb too high or do other things that lack all common sense.
I guess it comes with boys, they scare the daylights out of you sometimes.

Elise said...

My heart is just pounding reading that account. Thank goodness he is safe and maybe this will keep him from being so daring in the future but I totally understand your feelings of fear for him. You are his mom and you want to protect him.

Debbie said...

Oh How well I know how boys are!! I have one that has jumped off the building out back in to the POOL!!!!!!! Yeah, scared me to death!! And then to prove he still could did it before he got married!!!

There are days..............

I am glad he wasn't hurt seriously and hopefully he learned his lesson!!

Debbie

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Those little girls behaved so shamefully. What kind of mother doesn't teach her children to be kind to others? Their behavior must have thrown Nicholas for a loop.Thank goodness his guardian angel was with him....

RamblingMother said...

that made my heart stop and be thankful I don't have a boy!!

Beverly

Calico Sky said...

Those girls sound awful, I hope they leave Nicholas alone!!

Oh you must have been so scared that would have really frightened me too! Hopefully the talk made a difference!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...