I am certain I will be rambling....as I often do. I go to share something and then delete it as it feels like it is just too much to share, leaving my children too vulnerable. Yet, there is a part of me that does want to share because I know that in doing so, there could one day be another Mama going through something with her child and feeling so alone, so overwhelmed, so frightened for them and feeling so isolated that in sharing they could be encouraged.... this is often how I felt when my Nicholas was younger... we battled his demons from the past for over 4 years. There were times when my little guy would go into a rage for hours, completely out of control and after wards would often have very little memory of it. There were times when I would find myself crippled with fear at the thought of, if I can't control my son when he is 5 how will I be able to control him (ie keep him safe) when he becomes a teenager and could really be in harm's way. Some of our children who have been institutionalized as babies and children go to a place that is so dark, so despairing that it feels like we cannot reach them when they are there... as a parent you find yourself at times feeling overwhelmed at the inability to help your child, to heal your child, to reassure your child, to reach your child... But through the grace of God, by His Spirit, you press on.... and you break through... and they come back to you... your heart soars with relief.... with victory.... with hope... with gratitude and then it breaks again the next time they go to that dark place, in a rage, where you cannot reach them all over again... whether it is 15 minutes later or 3 days later.
When Isabella and I were together in China, I think it was the second or third day that she first went to that place with me and my heart grieved for my daughter, and I confess it grieved for my son Nick and my other daughter Hannah and my husband Jeremy and myself too.... It broke for my Isabella because I couldn't bare the thought of the pain, the fear, the desperation, the brokenness she felt. The first day we were together was very difficult because she was grieving so deeply and she was so frightened but I knew we would get through that and past that together..... but when she went into the first rage I was honestly surprised and distraught... all of the emotions of years of dealing with this with my Meeshka came flooding back and then the emotions of it for Isabella and then thinking we would have at least 3 years of it coming up with her and how would my sensitive, gentle little Hannah deal with it who after what happened to her Daddy she just starts whimpering and silent tears start falling down her cheeks when she sees someone cry.... if it happens to be her mama, whether they be tears of joy or sorrow she just pleads with me, "Mama, please don't cry... I don't like it when you cry."
We so want to protect our children.... to guard them from harm, from fear, from heartache... but he cold, hard truth is that we live in a fallen world and sometimes they are harmed, fear often tries to stalk us and there are many heartaches in life... but the wonderful, glorious, victorious truth is that Jesus is with us each step of the way, He is our strength, our hope, our healer, our comforter, our deliverer...
So, although my little Pearl clings to me when she is upset and I must hold her standing up to give her any comfort at all because in her little mind that is the only way I will not be able to abandon her.... if I am holding her standing up, then she must go where ever I go.... although when I tell her no to something, or something as simple as our dog lying down next to me in the chair, the tital wave of frustration and fear that assaults her leads to such anger and despair that she screams and kicks and sobs uncontrollably for sometimes hours, pushing against my chest with all her might for me to let go of her and then as I lie her down the wail of pain and anguish that pours out of her as she once again feels abandoned even though my hand has never left her, trying to communicate that I am here, I am with her.... then I immediately pick her up and she clings to me for dear life, with arms wrapped around my neck so tightly it feels like I a choking until a few minutes later the pushing me away and kicking, the bucking starts all over again.... all the while the sobbing never ends and anything you say to her, any song you sing to her sounds as if they are causing her physical pain... although this is part of our reality right now... part of her reality right now.... we will thank God and praise Him for the miracle of our precious little child.... we will thank Him and praise Him for her courage and her heart... for her sweetness... for each smile that lights up your whole world, for each giggle that comes deep from within, for each kiss, and for each step she takes closer to each of her family as she so earnestly yearns to trust us and to rest in us.... knowing that one day she will know Jesus and she will be able to rest in Him.... reminding myself to do the same thing.... rest in Him.... for we are right in the middle of His will for our lives.... Isabella is right where the Lord wants her to be and it is good! He will heal her broken places... He will cast out the darkness that tries to engulf her and snuff out the light in her eyes and her soul! He will give her Daddy and I the wisdom, discernment and strength to help her through this and He will protect and help her older brother as this stirs up memories for him and He will protect and comfort her older sister as her gentle, loving little 5 year old's heart tries to understand when she reaches out in love and is pushed away at times, or she must hear the screams and sobbing of her baby sister and she covers her ears and tears fall down her cheeks... My Lord... My God will prevail!!! He will give my little Pearl beauty for ashes and the oil of joy for mourning....Isaiah 61:3 He will restore the years the locusts have eaten... Joel 2:25
Perfect love casts out all fear....1John 4:18 so I will cling to my Jesus and try to teach my children to do the same thing. For He is the only true source of perfect love... God is perfect love and it is when we walk with Him in the Spirit that fear is powerless over us. So I am choosing to say, "In Jesus Name, Get behind me satan! Matt 16:23 You will not have victory over one of my children or over our family! I may stumble and fall from time to time... I may allow myself to be swept away by fear for a moment or two but nothing can separate me from the Love of God... Romans 8:38-39 He is with me, He is with my husband, and He is with my children and He will not let us go!!! We serve the Victorious Lion of Judah, Revalation 5:5 the battle belongs to the Lord 2 Chronicles 20:15 and the battle has already been won! I will choose to walk in His victory... and when one of my precious, beloved children is too tired or frightened, or broken to do so, I will lift them up, hold them in my arms and together we will walk in the victory of Jesus Christ!
You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, for he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3
Forgive me Lord for not keeping my mind stayed on You.... for stepping out of the boat when You called out to me and as I walked towards You, Matt. 14:25-33 I took my eyes off of You Lord and focused them upon the storm raging around me, around my family, around my little Pearl.... but You oh, Lord command the wind and the sea, You alone speak calm to the storms.... help me to keep my eyes fixed upon You Hebrews 12:1-2 as we carry this precious little daughter You have entrusted to us through this storm, however long it rages. Help us to be Your vessel, that she may see You, that she may feel You, that she may come to know You through us... and we pray that You repair those broken walls Lord Jesus. Isaiah 58:11-12 The walls that have been torn down, the walls that have been crushed... My little Pearl is going to be ok... God's got her...
and to God be the glory!
It is now 5:08 AM... Isabella let me lie her in her bed more than an hour ago with out waking up... she sleeps... Thank You Jesus...
(I also would like to give a disclaimer regarding her apparel. lol some days she will not allow me to dress her, or it takes hours to convince her to put on a pair of pants over her diaper. (for those of you who may be saying, she's two. You make her get dressed... I do not deem it worth it to physically force her to allow me to put clothes on her only to have her rip them off as soon as I let go of her. It would only cause more trauma) Having said that... when she will let me put something on her or she dresses herself (which I think is sad that at 2 years old she puts on and takes off clothes including buttons!) she becomes attached to certain tops or pants or shoes or jackets or hat and will only wear and keep on what she chooses. I am hoping this will pass and she will trust me in the future with some of the choices of her outfits. lol)
(I also would like to give a disclaimer regarding her apparel. lol some days she will not allow me to dress her, or it takes hours to convince her to put on a pair of pants over her diaper. (for those of you who may be saying, she's two. You make her get dressed... I do not deem it worth it to physically force her to allow me to put clothes on her only to have her rip them off as soon as I let go of her. It would only cause more trauma) Having said that... when she will let me put something on her or she dresses herself (which I think is sad that at 2 years old she puts on and takes off clothes including buttons!) she becomes attached to certain tops or pants or shoes or jackets or hat and will only wear and keep on what she chooses. I am hoping this will pass and she will trust me in the future with some of the choices of her outfits. lol)

27 comments:
Daleea,
I do understand this post.. And, my heart weeps with you. God chose the perfect mother for Isabella.. And, with your love she is going to learn to trust you with all of her heart... I will be praying for more nights of sleep, and for a peace that transcends all understanding for your precious girl!
We are both up early today!
Blessings,
Diana
You are awesome! She is going through so many emotions right now. Praying that God gives you the wisdom in how to help her along and praying that God delivers her out of her darkness quickly!
Hugs,
Carla
This is my life with Lottie but not this extreme anymore but she still does the demanding of me standing up while holding her when she is upset. I always thought it was a part of her control issues but maybe not? I say let her wear whatever she wants...who cares? That is a small battle. Only fight the big battles with her right now my friend. One thing that helped me and Lottie was skin to skin contact anytime we could have it. Of course, Lottie was 9 months old but Bella is very small so it should work. But when I was in a chair or laying with her on the bed, she would lay her head on my bare chest and hear my heartbeat and this helped us alot. I don't know why...but it did. Of course, I also slept with her and still do as you know. I am praying for you both and know that I love you and am here for you whenever you need me my friend. Big hugs and please let me know what I can do for you.
Oh, sweet Daleea! I had no idea you were having such a hard time. Bless your loving heart!!
Both of my girls had such struggles from trauma. Ella was my...could not put her down, she was so terrified, child. Daleea...she slept ON TOP of me for her first few years home. My body was so sore from that! She could not ever feel close enough to me. I will say only in the last few months, does she show signs of getting past some of that fear of losing me. And then Sophie, well...you know. And when Sophie came home with all of her issues, it triggered huge trauma emotions with my Ella...sigh...
I have a wonderful front carrier I would like to send you. I carried Ella in it up until she was over 3 years old and she is a very solid little girl. It makes a big difference on your back. Please write me with your address and I will give you my phone # so you can call.
Hang in there....I know the road you are walking.
love,
~m
This post just makes me cry. It takes me back to the early days home with our Abby who was so terrified that she grabbed a hold of me and would not let go. For months we had to sleep with her on my chest and thankfully God allowed me to be able to sleep that way; I don't know how, but it worked. You obviously know what a painful experience this can be and I just wanted to share with you that I understand where you are and I'll pray for you and for Isabella and the other children. A
Oh my friend...Thank you! Your words have made clear SO much of the journey that we have had, especially with Ravenna. Oh the storms can be so dark! You have it so right that it is the Lord who will heal the dark places. I keep praying that He will open them up in my children's hearts so that we can prayerfully heal them and not allow them to become strongholds in any way.
Your heart is so beautiful....this may be one of the very best things I have ever read about faith in storms and about adoption parenting!
Praying for you!
Shannon
Wow! What a powerful post. I am praying with Diana for sleep and peace. Thank you for sharing.
Jennifer
BTW...I didn't even notice the clothes! Her smile was too sweet!!
I love you friend and I will be praying. It is so wonderful to see your little pearl home with her family! She is beautiful in anything she wears! :)
Praying you are able to rest...
Thank you for being honest. You have all these emotions and they are real and painful. Many have stood where you stand feeling so alone and thank you for opening your help to allow others to know that they are not alone in this time. Thank you for the scripture to help in the darkness and pain. Praying for God's wisdom and peace in this season.
Daleea,
I love seeing your beautiful girl with her new family. Much of your post sounds familiar to some of my early days & nights with my little boy. But as you know God is faithful. He brings peace, sleep, joy, love, security, healing & miracles. May it all be quickly for you.
Blessings,
Shauna
Daleea,
I hurt for you now, as I know the pain of those rages. We had such a difficult time with our Madeline and she has healed so beautifully. It is such a very painful experience and takes every amount of love and effort you can give. I will pray for your strength and understanding for sweet Isabella as well as the rest of your family. I will also pray for sleep for you both as well:) that always helps!!! Take care!
Paige
Daleea,
I am so glad you are home with your sweet girl. Her smile lights up the room on the picture of her by the table. Praying God continues to soften her sweet little heart and that she knows deep down in her heart she is home. Praying for strength and wisdom that only he can give you!
Blessings
Julie
I am praying for you and your family. You are not alone and God will give you the strength that you and Isabella need. You can do this! :)
Bless you sweet momma!! Do not worry about the clothes - that will come later. She seems to need to have some control over her situation and if that's it then she's fine. She's precious no matter what she has on!
Oh Daleea...thank you for your honest post. My heart aches for your sweet Pearl as she learns to trust her momma and her family. My heart also feels the pain for Peep as Kaylin's heart is so soft and sweet like hers. I have to admit that was one reason it took me so long to say yes to the Lord for another child as I know Kaylin might react the same way as Peep does. Praying for all of you as you listen to the Father's heart of rest and peace. Hugs and much love!
oh my- how this brings back memories...you can't possibly know. Thank you for sharing this....the responses of your children as well as yours. Brought flashbacks and a new perspective.
Thank you.
I pray this season will pass quickly.
Love,
Holly
Do not apologize for anything Daleea. You are doing a great job...you are loving her and keeping your eyes on the Lord. I am raying for you:)
Love,
Kim
I remember those days, not with fondness. But you and Isabella will come through the darkness. God will make it possible! We are a bit over a year home with our little girl and she is a ray of sparkling, sassy sunshine in our family. But a year ago, I was not sure we would ever see it. Her pain engulfed us all. Many are praying for you right now and you are right, your daughter is exactly where she needs to be.
Praying for all of you sweet sister, so glad that you are home with your little one. Jesus will heal all wounds and wipe away all tears.
No fear can hold me down
No darkness steal my hoy
For blood has been poured out
The enemy destroyed
xoxox
Thank you for sharing your precious journey with this little one.!!! May the LORD continue to give you wisdom and grace.
You are so strong! Thinking of you.
Oh my sweet, sweet friend! ~ I love your heart and your honesty. I KNOW this is going to minister to others in a very profound way. It's important that people understand that no two adoptions are exactly alike, just as no two children are. We cannot possibly understand the trauma these precious, innocent kiddos have gone through... but thankfully their Heavenly Father does. And thankfully, your Precious Pearl has a wonderful, God-fearing, scripture-standing, humble, LOVING mama who has an abundance of love and compassion for her children, and knows how to stand on FAITH and turn to the Father for His grace and divine help. He is able and it's clear He WILL see you through this season. You are the PERFECT mama for your precious girl, and I look forward to watching as her walls crumble and her security in her new family and the Lord becomes her new foundation. She is SO precious and so worth every bit. You amaze me Daleea. Thank you for 'walking the walk' and being such a leader for Christ. I love you and your beautiful heart. Thank you for standing on the Word and quoting and claiming these life-filled scriptures over your daughter and your family... you KNOW He will see you all through and that there is MUCH power in those verses! I'm standing in agreement with you and will continue lifting you up in prayer. Sending BIG hugs your way!!
Proverbs 18:21 ~
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."
...it's MORE than clear to me, by reading this post and by the scriptures you are standing upon and claiming over your family, that you have surely chosen LIFE!! Keep up the strong fight, because if God is for you, who even DARE be against you!?! <><
Love and hugs,
~ Tanya
OMW....don't think another second about what your girl is wearing. Those of us that have been there, know dressing is the least of things to force. She is beautiful no matter what she is wearing. Our girl has been home 4 yrs and I still have struggles...sigh. Please allow all of you to find your new normal...this too shall pass...she WILL begin to feel secure and you WILL begin to sleep. I can't say when that will happen, sorry, but it will come. You are in our thoughts and prayers...thank you so much for letting us follow your wonderful journey
A wonderfully written post and I truly understand. Things are going to get better with each passing month and Isabella is going to bloom. Hugs my friend.
Hugs,
Jonni
Do NOT apologize {{{{{{hug}}}}}}} I feel for you....I truly do...you are such a loving mommy...you are all in my prayers...I can't even imagine how hard this is for all of you...thank you for sharing {{{{hug}}}}}
Daleea - this is a beautiful post. I am so glad you are home safe and hopefully this season of pain for your pearl will pass very quickly and she will blossom! I think about you calling Isabella your little pearl and I think about how a pearl actually becomes a beautiful gem. They don't start out that way and have to endure much - putting on layer after layer to protect itself but in the end they are beautiful to behold and strong. I'm sure the same will be true for Isabella. She is healing her heart - putting on layer after layer of your family's love. Hang in there! Praying for you!
Post a Comment